PIE and Me

Cue the PIE rant again. Admiration and respect for PIE linguists as they attempt to magic the lost past back into the living air. However, .... [D.R.H.]

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.etymonline.com/columns/post/pie-and-me
4 Likes

“PIE debates remind me of watching my son and his friends in the back yard trying to have Pokemon battles when there’s no real Pokemon” is a fantastic analogy.

3 Likes

The root of language is not a simple recipe of parts and ingredients. It is a trial-and-error method of, pardon the pun, baking a pie. However, if we never start from scratch and only rely on other bakers, have we truly understood what it means to learn the root of the recipe? Food for thought? Keep baking!

2 Likes

When the experts see that all corners of PIE are squared, then of course that area is circular.

1 Like

Chasing this is like putting a pole into a river in two places and, while the river flows, declaring a definitive answer. The current flow of study will only be somewhat less wet.

I just want to say thank you for actually giving notice and not blindly accepting truth without first questioning it. the powers that be have changed history little by little right under every generations noses for hundreds maybe thousands of years, and now they will begin to use the whole “Mandela effect” as an excuse to continue to do so until people start paying attention. The majority of our words are literally designed to deceive us, hence all the different possessions/tenses, double, triple meanings and crazy paradoxical lexical ambiguities… etc. Confusion creates disagreement which creates separation… Dominion through division. do you “conquer”?

1 Like

House or enclosure related terms such as perimeter, pergola, parallel, porch, portal, paradise, prison, and pyramid might trace to the Egyptian hieroglyph 𓉐 “pr,” meaning house. Alphabet, booth, inhabit, and habitat may trace to “bet,” a Semitic word for house. While identifying key patterns, PIE may also truncate the word ancestry prematurely, when fascinating contributions of other cultures remain to be recognized. It is particularly satisfying when a concept can be traced to a fundamental pictogram such as a house or the sun. Egyptian 𓇳 “Re,” sun, might lead to “ray,” “radiance,” “regal,” and “acre” (the land oxen could plow in one day).

1 Like

I thoroughly enjoyed your PIE rant! It’s wonderful to see others so passionately defend their intellectual perspectives. I will definitely be back to these posts for refreshing draughts from the Pierian Spring.

3 Likes

Temerity was the best word in your article. I defined it here, and borrowed your quotation from this article, please check it out: SLictionary

Doug, who can I contact to set up an interview with you? It can be written or podcast, but this is my favorite English reference source, and I would love to know more about you and your motivations for the site, given I’m attempting a similar dictionary project. I live in Furlong, PA, so maybe Philadelphia area is a strong motivator for linguistics somehow?

I chose “etymonline” as the reference source for etymological histories of English words because it is easy to use, is professionally presented, and most importantly, it completely meets the needs of my curiosity about word origins - without diving into the superfluous esoteria of PIE.
I don’t in any way feel diminished by not embracing PIE.

1 Like

Hear hear!
(oh, a post must be at least 20 characters…:slight_smile:

1 Like

When researching things far away in time or space, science often has to rely on the subtlest of traces of the measurable. Like astronomers trying to detect the planets orbiting far-away suns. These can most often not be seen even with the strongest telescopes, but their presence can be deducted by other means, like the gravitational pull that the planet excerts on the sun (wobble), which can be measured. I propose that etymology can also deduct the existence of words which can not be observed directly (as they were never written) by pointing to the measurable influence of “something out there lost in time”.

1 Like

Whin I look up trump it led me to the word doom is it just a coinsudins or is it some crazy dots being conecked

1 Like

the word “trump” appears in the entry for “doom,” is why. The dots are connected by machines.

I think it is just a coincidence, because the doom entry mentioned the following:

Crack of doom is the last trump, the signal for the dissolution of all things.

Sorry Doug, but you used ‘warn you off’ twice. That’s an eggcorn. It’s ‘ward off.’ Seems like etymology isn’t really your forte to begin with. Maybe attempting to gatekeep certain aspects of it isn’t for you.

1 Like

Dryden (“King Arthur”); thanks for the opportunity to confirm it.

1 Like

You “ward off” an attacker; you “warn off” a trespasser.

2 Likes