Hollywood Babble On

Meanings morphed by the movies. By Talia Felix, Assistant Editor.

What’s in a name – or a title? Ever since studios realized they could show their films around the world, movies have shaped culture. They have added to the stock of words and phrases we use. Sometimes, film titles themselves become words or phrases in daily language. 

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.etymonline.com/columns/post/hollywood-babble-on

Truly dizzying that the author felt compelled to explain in detail the Star Wars reference. I would have thought that anyone unaware of the plot of Star Wars had been born in a galaxy far, far away.

There’s people of a certain age who only know it from the Prequels and Sequels.

And are those people of a certain age frequent visitors to etymonline.com–nay, even frequent readers of the sidebars? If so, it restores ever so slightly my faith in the future. :slight_smile:

Hard to say how many there are, but remember some of them would be older than Carrie Fisher was when she was in that first movie.

It seems to me that there are two (only slightly intersecting) universes. In one of them it’s dizzying to have to explain the Star Wars references. In another it’s preposterous to have to explain who Scott is. And vice-versa. Since the masters of this project inhabit the latter universe, explaining Star Wars is not out of place here.

1 Like

I believe that detail was included to create humour, see the bit at the end about Greedo shooting first. Similarly, in the following section, “a time-traveling robot in an Austrian disguise” is a humorous addition, though it is ostensibly part of an explanation of well-known film plot.

I’m in my late twenties, and am one of the rare outliers in general who has never seen a Star Wars film. Yet. Been surrounded by cultural references but never once sat down to see the thing(s).

1 Like

As movie-Gandhi says, “There’s room for us all.” :blush:

… unless, of course, you were living on the planet Alderaan. :disappointed_relieved:

(Too soon?)