Doug and Mr. Plinkett

Our Own Douglas Harper Discovers His Home Office in Disturbing YouTube Murder Video!!! By Talia Felix, Assistant Editor

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.etymonline.com/columns/post/doug-and-mr.-plinkett-6
3 Likes

I will just note that the positioning of the various knicknacks is evidence that, at some point, I did dust.

2 Likes

Sitting here wondering if we are trusting Doug’s claimed ignorance a little too much…

2 Likes

Who cares how this cosmic linchpin happened!! Mainly, we thank Baby Jesus, AKA George Lucas, Mr. Plinkett, Red Letter Media, YouTube, China, freedom, Covid-19 and Assistant Editor Talia Felix for helping us get this glipmse into where the magic happens. And most of all, thank you to Etymonline Editor Doug Harper for redifining dusty.

2 Likes

Also worthy to be noted among the uncanny qualities is Talia’s alert eye. “Some pig”? Some spider!

I’m a passionate fan of both Etymonline and Red Letter Media and this has made my day!

1 Like

Doug’s office is tastefully decorated!

1 Like

Very nice clickbait title. And the statement is not fully, but mostly true as well (considering it was actually Talia who did the discovery). Just right.

Technically, y’know, once I sent him the links, he discovered it.

I initially tried to get ChatGPT to suggest clickbait headlines. It kept giving me dumb things like “SHOCKING DISCOVERY: Pennsylvania Editor’s Office Featured in Viral Star Wars Review? You Won’t Believe How His Ikea Bookshelf Became Famous!” and “Man’s Home Office Goes Viral! You Won’t Believe Where It Ended Up!”

If I have learned anything from 1950s paperback covers, it is to just seize upon the most lurid detail in the whole story, no matter how trivial, and act like it’s what everything’s about.

3 Likes

“Luridly Trivial” is so right it might end up in my obit headline.

1 Like

The map on the wall is what’s driving me nuts. It’s not Delco, Chester or Lancaster counties, but could it be an amalgam of all three? Or is it not Pennsylvania t’all? It’s that familiar curve of Delaware showing up on the border which keeps the mind thinking of southeastern Pennsylvania.

Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 5.45.48 PM

Maybe former borders of Chester County, before some of the other counties had been created?