Why are the Sanskrit/Hindi roots of words constantly suppressed?

Maybe it is a requirement to operate in a western society, for obvious reasons.

I’ve seen it on most words, but here on this word “path” path | Search Online Etymology Dictionary it’s so explicit.

Path / Pathh is a Sanskrit/Hindi word for the english word Path.
Pad / Padd is a Sanskrit/Hindi word for "on foot, as in a journey on foot (pad-yatra).

There is absolutely no mention of Sanskrit/Hindi on this page. And it’s just one of 100s, maybe 1000s of such words / pages with this misinformation.

Even if attributed, most of the time, instead of attributing the origin to Sanskrit, it is attributed to some mythical PIE language. Sanskrit/Hindi is the oldest living language. Rig Veda is the oldest book in existence. There is no denying this fact.

Indus, then Russia, then Greece/Germany, then west europe and then the rest. This is how civilization moved. Not the other way around.

Path (as in Path) and Pad (on foot) are both of Sankrit/Hindi origin. From Sanskrit, via Russian путь (put’) the word became whatever it became in various west european dialects.

Put (path)-in (of), so Putin means “of the path”.

Another Russian word for Path is линия (Liniya). Rivers create a path, a line, a way.
The Sanskrit word for melt (as rivers flow here from melted Himalayan snow) is लीनयति / लीनय Linayati / Linaya .

River in Russian in Reka (река). Rekha in Hindi/Sanskrit means a line. A river is basically a line.

Oh, you will love all the great new information I have to tell you!

First, it’s incorrect that Sanskrit is the oldest language. There are older documented languages than Sanskrit. Sumerian, just for example. Sanskrit, moreover, isn’t normally considered a living language; but even at that, it’s from Indic, from Indo-Iranian, and before that was the PIE. There are other branches from PIE than the Indo-Iranian branch, such as Germanic, Italic, Hellenic, and others. Both English and Hindi trace back to PIE but that doesn’t mean English is derived from Hindi, or Sanskrit, or anything else on the Indo-Iranian branch.

Now, for Etymonline in particular, unless the word comes directly to English from Sanskrit (for example, the word karma) it’s instead going to be listed as coming from whatever language it hit English through, then progressively farther back for as far as the source is known. There are a few words that are from Sanskrit originals – ginger, for example, though into English via Latin.

In the case of your example “path” we know the word in Old English from a document made between 700 and 715. This is long before there was colonization of the English in India or even much if any direct trade between the countries – if the English wanted goods from India these goods had to come across several other countries first, and they usually were out of the hands of Indian merchants by the time they got that far into Europe, so there was not much direct contact that would cause words direct from the early Hindi language to be known there. With “path” there are cognate terms in Germanic languages, but not in others like Romance languages, so we can discern it is Germanic. There is a theory that it reached Germanic from an Iranian word, which we mention in the entry, but we also mention the theory is not totally accepted. No one has offered an explanation of how it would be from Sanskrit. (Note that “sounds like” is not equal to “from.”)

4 Likes

I absolutely did not enjoy reading the first part of your comment, and that’s why did not read it all.

Aryan civilization originated in Indus, not Egypt, not Mesopotamia, you’re under the influence of the same misinformation that this site is propagating. Hence why i made this post in the first place.

I explained in my OG post how the word Path is definitely of Sanskrit origin, THEN it went through Russian first, and THEN it went westwards into Europe.

oh, don’t get discouraged. Yet. You’re more fun than the run-of-the-mill lingua-nationalist bully. You’re almost as amusing as the “everything is from Albanian” guy we used to have on Facebook (he was priceless, though), and I’ve got an “Everything is Hebrew” guy in my e-mail that you can never match for detailing and exposition. But I think he is actually insane.

“Putin” is Sanskrit – that’s not bad. You have potential in the genre.

But try harder. Putin is English. Because he’s “puttin’ the plan of Soviet revanchism into action.” Just like Stalin was just “stallin’ the Germans” and Lenin was “leanin’ away from the infantile disorder of left-wing communism.” I’ll think of one for Gorbachev in a minute.

2 Likes

Put in Russian means path, in means “of”, where did i say it was a Sanskrit word? Try and mock someone who cares. I’m here just to let ya’ll know your disinfo doesn’t matter.

It’s OK, we really didn’t need a Hindu nationalist around the house. They’re a dime a dozen nowadays. It’s really not a very good argument: “I’m the eldest surviving brother, thus all the rest of you are my children.” The Arabs and even the Persians have a better one: “Sure, Indians thought of everything first, but we’re between, and the barbarians to the west only learned what we cared to teach them.”

I do miss the Albanian guy, though. He was so creative. I also think better than I
might of Hungarians and Estonians as being the only nearby peoples I can think of who never tried to bully etymonline about “all your words are belonging to my mother tongue.”

The day I pay slightest regard to any of these, as language history, might be the day the guy with the Irish flag in his icon says all the words are from Greek, the Greek fellow insists they’re all Hebrew, and Mr. Cohen my current “all from Hebrew” gadfly writes that he’s had a revelation and it’s all actually Arabic.

I always want to kid-glove the people who are seeing these relationships for the first time – how the “water” word is the same word across so many tongues. That’s a thrill, and naturally your first instinct is to start where you stand and think, “It’s all from me!” Once you’re gently introduced to the fact that the world is, in fact bigger than you, you can start to appreciate the wisdom you’ve found in the words. But if you double down on your wrong answer in conformance with ideological purity, and set out to word-bully the world into a like conformity, you are the problem.

2 Likes

blah blah blah, tl:dr

1 Like

“I explained in my OG post how the word Path is definitely of Sanskrit origin”

No, you did not. You merely demonstrated that the modern English word path sounds like the Sanskrit/Hindi for “on foot.” You offered no evidence for how the word would have gotten into Old English, nor explanation for why the oldest version of the word in English (pæþ) doesn’t even sound like the Sanskrit word.

Again, sounds like is not the same as from.

3 Likes

the logic is all there, i got no globohomo anglo shchlomo propaganda websites to offer as PROOF for my disinfo

‘globohomo anglo shchlomo’ goes hard. :fire:

lashes out in many directions at once, like octopus who play drums.

2 Likes