Is a sandwich a taco

I’s
Bread
Meet
Bread

The breaths have I’d
Rather not comment on the meets,
Most don’t combine well and by nature are fewer
I’ll plant myself on your page for more condonements that all seem to fit my slide slalad
As delicious stressings showing the strings that take us back to the historical logic of naming stapled foods together. No earl can hear us now and say we ate too munch. Ham is best early in the morning. This meal of words, although submerged in wheelruts throughout time, could feed and heel us all in due horse. Slip, just hungry, that’s all. I don’t eat horses and I said I won’t mention the meats.

1 Like

A very small, very predictable lesson in physics?

How about math? Is a Big Mac what you’re talking about or is that maces too big sandwiches which are also one and the same?

There used to be a class of people who knew the secrets of how to make the citizens most palatable, and (when necessary) to relieve the confusion and discomfort of the diners. They eventually came to neglect their original function, but that function becomes obvious when you consider the structure of their name. Compare the Braumeister and the Bäckermeister with the Bürgermeister, and you will see it immediately.

Modern folks may try to distance themselves from this whole situation by linguistic tricks such as symbolically “swallowing” or “eating” umlauts (Umleute?), modifying the plural endings, and so on, but in the historical record, the expected form “Ich esse einen Bürger” is the predominant form. The still-existing names of the different styles and types (for example, the relatively plain Normalbürger; the Mitbürger with its specialty toppings; the Urbürger with no condiments at all; the high-fat, square Wutbürger which shouts loudly, tries to nail itself to the serving plate, and tastes like money; and the trendy Neubürger which contains a certified vegan) also “serve” to support this analysis.

1 Like

Absolutely true! I never dwelt on it consciously but the thought must have been waiting there for a long time: your words immediately evoked the image of a maître d’hôtel (obviously a cognate of ‘Meister’) haughtily serving a filet de missionaire à la cannibale to a distinguished couple in a classy restaurant, by candlelight, soft classic music playing in the background.

It’s ’ Umlaute’ - but I had to look it up in the dictionary for they usually come one at a time (thanks to all the Gods of the Olympus).
Technically the “Umleute” would be the people all around watching me leaf through the dictionary and sniggering condescendingly :smile:
Yes, swallowing (or even politely nibbling) the Umlaute is a typical gastronomic habit here, perhaps even more popular than eating Bürger. They still keep writing them though, heaven knows why - possibly a form of respect for the deceased.

Recent research has brought to light also the Brotburger (the intact bun), the Küchenresteburger (traditionally served at the university cafeteria) and the Zungeburger (when one accidentally bites his tongue while eating it), usually dressed with heavy swearing.

Hold the phone, kids. The judge knows his etymology.

Sandwich, sandy harbor, eh?

wīc f
bight, small bay, creek, inlet

From Proto-West Germanic *wīku, from Proto-Germanic *wīkō, from Proto-Indo-European *weyk- (“to bend, curve”)

As in, one curves or bends the tortilla, eh? Ole!

My dentist would approve enthusiastically, if perhaps not specifically the wīc part. But the notion of people chewing so much sand would certainly give him luscious dreams of a second yacht :smile:

The Great Australian Sandwich makes more sense now, too.

Though the continent does look as though someone has actually taken a bight out of it.

Early cookbooks telling how to make them.