I contend: caramel derives from Kara (Turkish for black) and meli (Greek for honey)

the entry on etymonline traces the root of “cara” to Latin canna (cane) or calamus (reed, cane). That simply makes no sense whatsoever.

Kara-Melis constitutes a by far more logical root. Not least with caramel and derivatives having been part of Osman cuisine.

canna and calamus appear farfetched and lacking of any connotation to the subject.

When and where was the word kara-melis created, and where is the first English-language source that uses the word? Many things sound like good ideas but turn out not to be true.

1 Like

Kara and Meli (greek μέλι) - the s slipped in erronously and I had amended it in the caption previously already.

All I am contending here, is that the offered etymological roots on this platform for caramel appear far fetched and void of any likelyhood.

It is I who suggests an, imho, more likely etymological genesis of the term caramel.

Kara = Turkish for black and Meli (μέλι) = Greek for hony

I have, so far, not seen any reference to this proposition yet, anywhere else.

Nevertheless, ask yourself, if “canna” or “calamus” as a root for “cara” sounds like a good idea, then take into consideration my suggestion, with some common sense, and decide which likelyhood appears more logical…

kara-meli (caramel)

I assume, the term evolved in Greek speaking circles during the time when Greece was part of the Ottoman (Turkish) Empire, or by diaspora Greeks living in Turkish speaking environs.

I understand. Unfortunately, accepting what seems likely (or logical) often leads to a false result. If there are two trails of evidence, of course we should go to the logical one first. But if only one trail of evidence exists, there’s no choice but to follow it. Illogical things are a problem, but disregarding the evidence would be insane.

(It is obviously a good idea to search for evidence to support the logical conclusion.)